36mm wide circular silver medal with ornate scrolled swivel ribbon suspension bar with SAMANA 1891 & HAZARA 1891 clasps; the face with the crowned head of Queen Victoria facing left, circumscribed ‘VICTORIA REGINA’ and signed ‘W. WYON. R.A.’ (for William Wyon, R.A., 1795-1851, chief engraver at the Royal Mint from 1828 to 1851); the reverse with a standing Victory to the left crowning with laurel a seated classical warrior, a short sword in his right hand, its scabbard in his left, his helmet on the ground, lotus flower and leaves below, signed ‘L.C. WYON.’ (for Leonard Charles Wyon, 1826-1891, eldest son of William Wyon and his successor as chief engraver at the Royal Mint); attributed on the edge in script to 47790 Pte J Howard 1st Bn K. R. Rif. C. (1st Battalion, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps); on correct ribbon. The medal was instituted on 22 December 1853 after the Second Anglo-Burmese War of 1852 to 1853.
James Howard who served with the 1st (Regular) Battalion, The King’s Royal Rifle Corps is shown on the rolls as being entitled to both bars as shown.