36mm wide circular silver medal with claw and swivel ribbon suspension bar; the face with the head and shoulders portrait of King Edward VII in Field Marshall’s uniform facing left, circumscribed ‘EDWARDVS VII REX IMPERATOR’ (Edward VII King Emperor),; the reverse with a ribbon inscribed ‘FOR / LONG SERVICE / IN THE VOLUNTEER / FORCE’ imposed on palm and laurel sprays; impressed named to rim: 5736 PTE T. LESLIE. 4/V. B. GORDON HDRS. (4th Volunteer Battalion, The Gordon Highlanders).
The Medal was instituted in 1894 to be awarded for 20 years’ service in the Volunteer Force, precursor of the Territorial Army.