36 mm wide medal, ribbon and undress ribbon silver circular medal. The obverse bears the crowned head of King George VI surrounded by the legend GEORGIVS VI D:G.BR:OMN:REX ET INDIAE IMP:. The reverse depicts a knight in full plate armour, standing feet apart, over his closed helmet, supporting a broken lance with his right arm. Standing facing him and to his left, a robed and veiled lady holding out to him a tankard. Above the inscription FOR SERVICE IN THE CAUSE OF FREEDOM and in the exergue THE KING’S MEDAL. The medal is supnded by a ring from a ribbon 31mm in width being white with three narrow verticle stripes – blue at each side and red in the centre. The obverse was designed by Percy Metcalf and the reverse is thought to be the work of T H Paget. Medal comes in the original leatherette award case, with pebbled outer with gilt border with gilt lettering: ‘KING’S MEDAL FOR SERVICE’, maker stamped ROYAL MINT to silken interior.
This medal was instituted in August 1945 for civilian service to the Allied cause. Only foreign nationals were eligible. The first such award was made to Mr Winthrop Aldrich, for his work as national president of the British War Relief Society in the USA. Reccomendations for this award were normally made via the Foreign Office.