WW2 GERMAN GRADE ONE MARKSMAN’S UNIFORM LANYARD
Out of stock
Second pattern grade one marksmen’s lanyard consists of a heavy, twisted, interwoven silver/aluminium braid with buttoning loops to both the top and bottom ends. The reverse of the braiding has a protective, pale grey, rayon strip of fabric neatly handstitched in place to prevent chafe wear on the uniform. The top of the lanyard has a stamped, zinc, construction, vertically oval, embossed, oak-leaf wreath with a Wehrmacht style eagle with down swept wings, clutching a canted swastika in its talons, positioned to the top centre encompassing crossed swords which are superimposed on a shield shaped base with a subtly pebbled background field. The shield device is attached to an interwoven silver/aluminium braid rosette with a protective wool backing handstitched to the reverse to prevent chafe wear to the uniform. Bullion shows some wear in spots, but a very good, sound piece.
Originally German army marksmen were distinguished by a series of sleeve stripes that were introduced on January 27th 1928. These sleeve stripes remained in use until newly designed marksmen’s lanyards were introduced on June 29th 1936. The lanyards were issued in twelve ascending grades with grade one being the lowest and grade twelve the highest. The grades were originally differentiated by a silver coloured shield with a Wehrmacht eagle for grades one through four with an additional acorn device for each successive grade, a silver coloured shield with a Wehrmacht eagle, crossed swords and an oak-leaf wreath for grades five through eight with an additional acorn device for each successive grade and a gilt coloured shield with a Wehrmacht eagle, crossed swords and an oak-leaf wreath for grades nine through twelve with an additional acorn device for each successive grade. On January 9th 1939 the first pattern lanyard shields for grades one through four were replaced with the silver coloured shield with a Wehrmacht eagle, crossed swords and an oak-leaf wreath that was slightly smaller than the first pattern shields for grades five through eight. The lanyards were awarded to qualifying EM/NCO’s and were accompanied with an award certificate. The lanyards were worn suspended from under the right shoulder strap and attached to the second top front closure button of most uniforms. Award of the marksmen’s lanyards was discontinued on February 14th 1941 to be reinstituted at the successful conclusion of the war.
||20 × 10 × 5 cm