WW2 GERMAN KRIM CAMPAIGN SHIELD AWARD
Original die stamped, magnetic sheet metal construction, shield with a bronze wash featuring a large embossed national eagle with out-stretched wings, clutching a wreathed, situated above an embossed map of the Crimean peninsula with the dates, 1941-1942, and the impressed location, "Krim". The recessed water surrounding the peninsula has a subtly pebbled, background field. The edge of the shield has a fine, embossed, line and a stepped down outer edge. The shield is mounted on a cut-out, rounded bottom, flat topped, shield shaped, field-grey wool base with an alloy backing plate.
The Crimean Campaign shield was instituted on July 25th 1942, as the third official campaign shield for award to all Wehrmacht, (Armed Forces), personnel who had been engaged in combat, were wounded or served three months in the Crimean peninsula campaign between September 21st 1941 and July 21st 1942. The shields were bestowed to eligible personnel by the area commander Generalfeldmarschall Erich von Manstein and were to be worn on the upper left sleeve of the uniform.
|Dimensions||10 × 7 × 5 cm|